[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check, please

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 07:35:37 PDT 2008

Thank you, Daniel. That was an important bit of information I didn't
know, and is the first concrete application I've ever heard for the
oft-quoted fact that 'we register emblazons/the picture, not
blazons/the words'. I'd always thought the distinction was irrelevant
at best since most of us (until recently and increasingly) had no
access to the pictures, just the words. But now it makes sense and I
can agree it's a good thing.

I know I've seen things in the past I wish would get this treatment,
but I can't think of any off the top of my head. The closest I can come
up with was one I ran across during conflict checking once. A client
here wanted a ferret argent on a device, and it was only on the third
check that I realized one of the devices I was comparing said 'ermine',
not 'ermine spot', and that was a conflict. A picture would have made
it immediately obvious.