[ANSTHRLD] Conflict question

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 08:56:38 PDT 2008

 > BTW, us local pursuivants have roughly a 50% chance of being correct in conflict checking.  Individual Kingdom Commenters are between 2/3 and 3/4 and individual Laurel Commenters between 3/4 and 9/10.  That's why the submission process takes so long and why everyone is encouraged to comment over an extended period of time.  There's safety in numbers.  If an individual consulting herald "guarentees" something is free of conflict, smile and thank them, and get at least a second opinion.  Even then it's not a sure thing.

Speak for yourself.
A complete armory conflict check involves a search of the Ordinary, a search of my LoAR set since the most recent update of the Ordinary, and a search under OSCAR for in progress submissions.  If no suspects are found it is clear of conflict of currently submitted and registered armory.  A conflict can very rarely slip in at nearly the same submission time.  I think I have seen that happen 3 or 4 times.

If any suspects are rounded it may be a sure conflict under the Rfs which I will cite.  Often it requires a precedent search and possibly a LoAR search since the Armory precedents don't keep pace with the issuance of LoARs.  Sometimes using the registered name of suspect conflicting armory in a search of all of the LoAR directory is useful.  It helps to see what returns were called against it in the past.  It is also helpful when it is Latin name plant or animal proper (with no tincture listed) is the suspect.
Would your flower charge conflict with a Rhododendron alabamense blossum proper registered in 1979?  (Personal note: all Latin species proper floral heraldry in the SCA should be sprayed with a good week killer including the above mentioned azalea.)

A name conflict check starts with a similar search.  English and Gaelic are the most common trouble makers followed by Norse and Welsh and some common French locatives like de Calais or d'Avignon.  For Gaelic you have to use wild cards to check for sound alike spellings.  Often these are listed in the entry under OCorrain & McGuire and involve accented vowels.  The Anglicized Gaelic form of the name may also be too close in sound if it is already registered.  This is usually listed in the book entry for the name in the Gaelic name reference or can be guessed from practice.  With name conflicts Gaelic is the most common language to bite the average herald working for a client.

Magnus