[ANSTHRLD] Conflict question

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 10:16:03 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:56 AM, doug bell <magnus77840 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  > BTW, us local pursuivants have roughly a 50% chance of being correct in conflict checking.  Individual Kingdom Commenters are between 2/3 and 3/4 and individual Laurel Commenters between 3/4 and 9/10.  That's why the submission process takes so long and why everyone is encouraged to comment over an extended period of time.  There's safety in numbers.  If an individual consulting herald "guarentees" something is free of conflict, smile and thank them, and get at least a second opinion.  Even then it's not a sure thing.
>
> Speak for yourself.

Hey, now.  *I* have a roughly 75% chance of not missing anything.
That's a good 25% chance that I forgot to look someplace, missed a
Laurel precedent, or even misinterpreted a rule somewhere. And I check
using tools you don't have and have been doing this for eleven years
or so.  While I might quibble with a few of the numbers given above,
since many local and kingdom heralds are better than some CoA
commenters, overall the fact that each level has a good chance of
missing something and _by_the_time_ a submission gets through CoA
commenting the accuracy level for conflict and style checking is at
its highest level is incontrovertible. And given that I can readily
find three extremely obvious conflicts that were registered because
everyone missed them.

If one herald could do it all, the rest of us could retire to plush
couches and eat peeled grapes and the state of SCA heraldry would
atrophy until chaos existed where order once had.  We all work
together in this and no matter what some people think, they're isn't a
perfect herald among the lot of us. :)

- Teceangl Ounce
--
Head returns off at the pass -