[ANSTHRLD] Hello Sybil

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Sep 23 07:42:54 PDT 2008

Paedric wrote:

> Just how many of you are there?
>
> Danihel Lindocolina
> Daniel de Lyncoln
> Daniel Lindum
> Danyll Lincoln
> Denyel de Linccolne
>
> Maybe you should be Daniel Legion, for you seem to be many. :)
> Paedric

He is pointing out that many people used two or three forms of their names
in period, just as we do today.  (Depending on where I am, I am John Rudin,
Jay Rudin, or J. Frank Rudin, and "Frank" isn't even my middle name.)
Also, spelling was not yet regularized, and there was no such thing as a
"correct" spelling.

Therefore, he is trying to show people that our concern for a single exact
spelling is inauthentic.

Of course, the large number of spellings and variants he's using is just as
inauthentic as restricting it to only one, so the example fails on any
level other than humor or irony, but it's not news to Daniel or anyone else
that heralds tend to go overboard.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin