[ANSTHRLD] branch pursuivant title instruction, please

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Mon Sep 29 16:29:58 PDT 2008

More responses later - just a quick couple right now.

> > 4) Is there a place I should have gone to to garner this
> > information so
> > I wouldn't have to bother you all? If it is in the online
> > handbook I am
> > too blind or obtuse to see it. A very quick scan of the
> > College of Arms
> > Administrative Handbook (1/20/2002) didn't turn up any
> > answers either,
> > save the implication that, as far as the COLLEGE is
> > concerned, branches
> > can own titles themselves, but I suspect that is an area that
> > could be
> > modified by kingdom law, and I haven't dug through that yet.
>
> I always go check the RfS first
> (http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html) and then the Admin
> Handbook there (http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html), and
> then start doing google searches on site:heraldry.sca.org for anything I
> think might be relevant.

And the Collected Name Precedents have the heraldic title precedents at:

http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/precedents/CompiledNamePrecedents/Titles.html#H
eraldicTitles

This may also help.

> I didn't immediately find anything useful, but someone may have done a
> research project on "period heraldic titles" and webbed it somewhere, for
> all I know. It's worth looking/asking around!

Timing is everything!  Juliana de Luna taught a class on this at KWHS a
couple of weeks ago.  I finished HTML'ing the first draft of her associated
article in late August.  It's posted at:

http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/HeraldicTitles/

She has hundreds of examples in there.  It's waaaaay cool.

If someone spots broken links, etc., please let me know so I can fix them.
The HTML'ing was kinda rushed so I could have it ready in time for her KWHS
class.

Mari