[ANSTHRLD] fimbriated edges and field divisions

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Apr 2 14:23:06 PDT 2009

I've given my answers directly in another message.

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Crandall <crandalltwo-scalists at yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1. Wavy and fimbriated are line treatments, combining them does not
> work.

Fimbriation is equivalent to a charge on a charge.  I am *fairly*
confident that it does work in this case.

> 2. Per pale sable and azure bendy argent (or argent bendy azure
> depending on the size of the bendy)

If the stripes are of equal width, which I assumed, it's "bendy azure
and argent" or the reverse.

If the stripes are uneven, then there are bends (charges) on there.
Immediate return for appearance of marshalling (RfS XI.3,
<http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#11.3>): "No section
of the field may contain an ordinary that terminates at the edge of
that section, or more than one charge unless those charges are part of
a group over the whole field."  Also return for being almost
unblazonable (except as marshalled arms).

> overall a (charge) Or.

I think the specification was that the charge was on the dexter side
only; to get that, that arrangement would have to be specified.  The
SCA uses "overall" only for a charge partially overlying another
charge, so it can't be used here regardless of where it was placed.

> Complexity of seven, four tinctures, one field treatment, one
> division, one charge.

RfS VIII.1, Armorial Simplicity,
<http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#8.1>:

     As a rule of thumb, the total of the number of tinctures plus the
     number of types of charges in a design should not exceed eight.

Note that "field treatment" and "division" are not in there.  The
field has three tinctures == complexity 3.  Add a charge and that's at
most four tinctures and one change == complexity 5.

> I would suggest just the field without the charge to check
> first. Simplicity is good.

I agree entirely.

> The charge would lose clarity if the tincture were the same.

It wouldn't "lose clarity": I opine that it would lose all
recognizability and would be returned.

> If a charge is only on one side, then those that twitch at the
> slightest possibility of marshalling would jump on it.

No, those who apply the rules and precedents exactly as written would
jump on it.

> It would appear to be two devices combined.

You are entirely correct.  I forgot about that aspect.  A part of a
field division that was used in marshalling (here, "per pale") that is
itself parted is considered to be an appearance of armory.  The other
half having a charge would indeed cause a return.

I was wrong before: you could not just say "in dexter a left-handed
yadda yadda".  My apologies.

You could put it in the center of the field.

It doesn't look all that medieval in style, but the question didn't
ask about good period style.

Daniel Lindum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com