[ANSTHRLD] question about baronial service order award charters

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sat Aug 22 22:22:59 PDT 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> What I noted is that the document did not make such a general policy,
>> and indeed, it stated that such a policy did not exist.  Instead, it
>> gave it to him on grounds of merit.
>>
>> Consideration of this case may have prompted the policy.  I just found
>> it interesting that this document carefully avoided it entirely.
>
> Of course.  A ducal scroll doesn't say that anybody who rules twice
> will become a duke -- it merely says that this guy is.

I would think it noteworthy, however, if it said

      And whereas there is no provision made for automatic grant of the
      title of Duke for one who has reigned twice, either by Letter
      of the Law or Long Used Custom,

      Be it known,

      It is Our desire that Inman MacMoore be given the title of Duke,
      on the Strength that he has served Well and Faithfully for
      these years, in the capacity of both King and otherwise.

Danielis Lincolnia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com