[ANSTHRLD] question about baronial service order award charters

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sat Aug 22 15:39:29 PDT 2009

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Robert Fitzmorgan <fitzmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
>> And don't forget that Allemanius needs an Atenveldt scroll,
>> prepared for the signatures of Pontius and Sheherezon.
>
>    That may not be necessary in this case.  I found a copy of a
> scroll for Allemanius, while going through the Historian files last
> night.  The text of the charter speaks directly to the issue being
> discussed.  I have scanned it in and am providing a link to the
> image.
>
> http://historian.ansteorra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Allemandus_Scroll.jpg

Fascinating document.  It has a long explication of the circumstances
of the grant, which I think is medieval but rarely seen in the SCA.

But it also has

     And whereas there is no provision made for automatic membership of
     a resigned Principal into that Order, either by Letter of the Law
     or Long Used Custom,

and gave membership to him specifically.  Dated 22 March 1980.  This
does not seem to be quite in accordance with what I rememebr Robin
writing, that it was a custom from the earliest days.

Dannet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com