[ANSTHRLD] "Book of the Herald" wiki (was: Changes to Heraldic Education??)

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 23 12:42:44 PDT 2009

Robert Fitzmorgan wrote:
> I feel that. . .a Heraldic wiki might be a useful education tool. . .

There are already heraldic wikis:  the Wikipedia Heraldry and
Vexillology Portal <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Portal:Heraldry_and_Vexillology>, Herald's Corner <http://
www.wikia.com/wiki/Heraldry>, Cunnan: Heraldry <http://
cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Heraldry>, Heraldry: A Simple Guide <http://
heraldry.wikidot.com/>. . .

> This would allow for anyone who wants to be involved to write
> articles on their areas of expertise and make any additions or
> corrections they think are appropriate to what others have
> contributed.

It would also allow anyone who wants to be involved to write articles
on topics they know absolutely nothing about and make alterations
they mistakenly think are appropriate to what other, more
knowledgeable persons have contributed.

> I think it would a very good way to create the Book of the Herald
> IF people will participate.

Wikis can be a good place to start looking--to identify potentially
useful search terms, etc.--but you can't rely on them as sources of
information.  An article that's well-researched and competently
footnoted on Monday may be half speculation with spurious references
by Tuesday afternoon.   If there's to be an official reference text
for heralds in the kingdom (and I think it's an excellent idea), the
content should be well-vetted and relatively stable.  Nobody should
ever get a bum steer there.  Wikis aren't good for that.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>