[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Heirs

Darin Herndon darin.herndon at chk.com
Wed Feb 4 13:50:20 PST 2009

Tostig,

An unasked question but something to verify.  You mentioned several times that certain parties outranked other parties.  Do any of the armory items include reserved charges (like a beast engorged of a ducal coronet)?  If so, the reserved element cannot be transferred unless the receiver is also entitled to use the same reserved charge.

I had missed the increase in items that can be registered (6 versus the old count of 4 in names and armory each).  As already noted, you cannot have registered to you more than the limit.  But, as you noted the grandchildren, etc...  Once validated to Laurel as the legal heir who can decide how to dispose of the registered items, some items could be transferred to child 1 and some to child 2 and some to grandchild 1, etc. as long as no one person violates their personal limits.  Then they all remain in the family and permissions to conflict can be given, etc.

I am not sure that any items actually need to be transferred just to let children and grandchildren inherit the right to use a no longer allowed naming format.  As long as the legal heir certifies that person X is the grandchild of the person who had the registered name, I think the grandfather clause (no pun intended) for this specific use case can be used.  Though I am not absolutely certain on that and have never heard of a case like this.

Lastly, you asked about how to display the collected arms.  You cannot register marshalling but you did not ask about what you could register.  As a purely academic exercise, you should be able to work out how the resulting inheritance would marshal as long as you have (and it appears that you do) who outranked whom and a copy of Fox-Davies.  Would I display the marshaled arms at an SCA event?  Personally, no; I would display my arms that I hold in my own right.  Might I make a banner just to have one for the sheer curiosity of it?  I might; if I could get someone to do the appliqué, embroidery, or appropriate fiber art given the resulting complexity and small fine detail required.  Heck it might even make an interesting paper and A&S entry to explain how you put it together, even though you cannot register such in the SCA.

Purely for academic curiosity, if you want help or a second opinion let me know; it might be fun to get the blazons, precedence, and genealogical relationships and see what I come up with.  We could even compare independent results just to see if we ended up with the same end product.  If we did not end up the same, analyzing the differences and reasoning could be educational.  But then, I am a self avowed "geek" about things like that and my sense of fun is similarly warped.

Etienne

This email (and attachments if any) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and destroy all copies of the email (and attachments if any).