[ANSTHRLD] Fur or Color with a semy?

Darin Herndon darin.herndon at chk.com
Mon Jan 19 11:07:30 PST 2009

Engenulf,

If the lozenge is actually fully on the stag (a tertiary), then I would blazon as:  Azure ermined Or, on a stag trippant argent a lozenge gules.

I am sure someone will correct me if my info is dated but... From a design perspective the question of fur or semy would not matter, you should treat it like a plain azure field (it is mostly a color so don't put something gules, vert, etc. directly onto it).  You should also avoid putting gold things onto it as they would blend with the ermine spots.

I mean no disrespect with the following example but, from a practical standpoint a gold stag would be a problem (and I think you cannot do that anyway).  If the stag was Or instead of argent, remembering that the ermine spots should be evenly distributed and not "moved" to avoid touching the stag, then it would very much look like the stag had been hit with a  large caliber round and bits were blown across field

Your client's blazon meets both of those concerns and looks fine.  If there is no conflict, the submission should be fine.

Etienne