[ANSTHRLD] a couple questions

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Jul 22 12:14:48 PDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> So any input back to the landed baron/ess quartering the arms of the
> barony and canton?

So far as I've ever heard, someone quartering arms means that they
inherited various distinct fiefs or coats.  As such, I don't see how
it could be appropriate to quarter the arms of a barony and its
canton(s).  (Unless the canton had originally been independent but was
merged into the barony.)

Based on the Russian imperial arms display I saw in the last few days,
one neat but probably post-period notion would be to have an eagle
with the main coat on a shield on its breast, and the shield of two
cantons, one on each wing.  I can't think of a really spiffy way for a
barony with one canton: maybe one supporter in the middle affronty
supporting arms on each side?

Danielis Lindocollinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com