[ANSTHRLD] Pull the Files - Coronet Arms

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Fri Jul 24 12:30:01 PDT 2009

Alden wrote:

> We could change the registration designations on the arms from King and
> Queen to Sovereign and Consort.

Excuse me for pushing for precision in lnaguage.  We could recommend that
the Queen(s) consider whether they want to give up these arms in favor of
the consorts.  One of the problems with using bureaucratic language "change
the designation" is that it describes a process, not an effect.  This
statement is the same as saying, "We could take the Queen's arms away from
her and give them to the consort."  Once expressed in that form, the
problem becomes clear.  These arms don't belong to us; they belong to the
Queen.  We can make recommendations, but we cannot "change the registration
designations" separate from the Queen(s), not the heralds, deciding to do
it.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin