[ANSTHRLD] conflict check: cartouche and orle

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 7 13:43:29 PDT 2009

Antonia wrote:
> I have done my own checks, but since I am new, I wanted to double
> check myself

and later posted this URL:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/jimcouch/Heraldry?feat=directlink

She offered this description of one proposed device:
> Pean sable with "tails" Or, Sable, an orle argent (using the
> Erminois, Or with "tails: sable)  Sable, a Cartouche argent (using
> the ErminoisOr with "Tails" Sable)

First, a quick comment:  Where the heraldic primer on the College of
Arms' site says, "Pean sable with 'tails' Or", what it's trying to
convey is that "pean" means "sable with 'tails' Or".  You don't need
to include the gloss in your blazons, just the term itself.

I'd blazon this one something like, "Sable, a cartouche and an orle
Or, overall a semy of ermine spots counterchanged."

Style note: I'm not sure you can *have* a semy overall.  I've
certainly never seen it in a period emblazon.  My guess is that you'd
need to provide evidence that such an arrangement is period before
you could register a device using it.  Consider "Pean, a cartouche
erminois and an orle Or," <http://coblaith.net/temp/consults/
cartorle.jpg>.  It's close to what you've got, and closer to period
style.

I found nothing in the ordinary with which either your initial
proposal or my suggestion conflicts.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>