[ANSTHRLD] conflict check: griffin on delf

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 7 14:04:18 PDT 2009

Antonia wrote:
> I have done my own checks, but since I am new, I wanted to double
> check myself

and later posted this URL:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/jimcouch/Heraldry?feat=directlink

She offered this description of one proposed device:
> Azure with Sable, a delf argent, a Azzure Griffon Courant gardant

The griffin is neither courant nor gardant.  It's posture would be
blazoned "segreant", but needn't be because that's the S.C.A. default
for griffins <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/coagloss.html#default>.

I'd blazon this: "Azure, on a delf argent a griffin azure."

Style note:  In period emblazons, charges were generally drawn to
fill the space they occupied.  Given that, and given the fact that
you've got on it a complex charge that you want to be as identifiable
as possible, I strongly recommend you make the delf significantly
larger (as large as it can be and still fit on the field).  You also
need a clearer image of the griffin.  At the moment, it takes work to
figure out what it is. (And that's not how heraldry is supposed to
work.)  There's a nice 15th-century one from Bavaria you could adapt
at <http://mdz10.bib-bvb.de/~db/bsb00001755/images/index.html?
seite=445>, and a couple of 16th-century English ones at <http://
mdz10.bib-bvb.de/~db/bsb00001647/images/index.html?seite=43>.

This proposal conflicts with the badge of Timothy of Glastinbury,
"Azure, a billet argent."  There is one Clear Difference between the
two, for the addition of a charge group entirely on another charge
group (the griffin on the delf), so you could still register the
proposed device if Timothy of Glastinbury issued a letter of
permission to conflict <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/
admin.html#APPENDIXD>.  He was living in Elfsea when he submitted the
badge for registration; perhaps the Nautilus Pursuivant can help you
find him <http://herald.ansteorra.org/contacts.php> and ask.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>