[ANSTHRLD] conflict check help

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 12 16:04:16 PDT 2009

Giovanni wrote:
> . . . could I please get some opinions on the following device:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/34444846@N06/3619822645/
> I want to confirm the blazon, so I will not bias you by stating
> mine. . .

Vert, an eagle, in chief a crescent, and a bordure argent.

The bordure looks a little wimpy, to me, by the way.

> . . .I need help with a conflict check as I have not ferreted out
> all the nuances of the database yet. . .

Here's how I'd do it:

First, you need to recognize the fact that the proposed design isn't
X.2 simple <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#10>, so
in order for it to be clear of any registered item one will have to
have two C.D's from the other.  Just changing the type of the primary
charge group isn't sufficient.  Keep that in mind as you work.

Go to the ordinary <http://oanda.sca.org:80/ordinary/index.html>, and
look under "Bird - Whole - 1 - Displayed - Argent".  Remember you'll
have one C.D. from anything that doesn't have an undivided vert
field, so you only have to read each blazon for anything else far
enough to find one more; it'll make things go faster.  Keep RfS X.4
<http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#10.4> close at
hand, so when you think you might have found a conflict you can go
down the list of potential C.D's to check without missing any.

Then go to each of the other "Bird - Whole - 1 - Displayed"
categories and check the armory with vert fields.  (For anything else
there, you'll have a C.D. for field tincture and a C.D. for the
tincture of the bird.)

Then go to "Bird - Whole - 2 - Argent" and "Bird - Whole - 3 or more"
categories and check armory with vert fields.  Remember you'll have a
C.D. for the number of birds, so you only have to read each blazon
far enough to find one more.
(For anything without a vert field in these categories, you'll have a
C.D. for field tincture and a C.D. for the number of birds.)

Then go to "Crescent - 1 - Argent - Upright" and "Bordure - Uncharged
- Plain line - Argent - Surrounding 1 plus" and check armory with
vert fields.  (For anything without a vert field in these categories
that wasn't in the bird categories, you'll have a C.D. for field
tincture and one for the change in type of the primary charge.)

I think that's it.  If I've missed something, I'm sure one of the
more experienced conflict-checking heralds will let us know.

The process is painful the first few times, but it does get easier.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>