[ANSTHRLD] Clients who want runes

John Atkinson johnmatkinson at gmail.com
Sun May 3 18:37:47 PDT 2009

I have a client. . . Or more accurately, a pair of clients.  One has
been playing in the SCA since. . . I'm not sure.  Seven kingdoms, well
over a decade. . . She's got very nice arms and a name registered,
but. . .

Her husband, after years of 'whatever' towards the SCA is getting into
playing.  Fine.  He wants a Viking persona, and the name Grim -- and
doesn't care how we have to tweak the spelling, nor what byname we
hang on it (probably a simply patronymic) so long as it is
registerable.  Though I am NOT an expert on Norse naming practices, I
can deal with this.

The issue is with the device.  He wants to stick a rune on it.  Not
just any rune, but a rune whose name translates to 'helm of awe',
which phrase shows up in the volsungsaga sagas as some sort of
mystical protection.

I know that we won't register armory consisting of a single abstract
symbol so we need to add additional widgets (acceptable secondary
charges) somewhere somehow, but would that be enough to let this thing
fly?

Ioannes Dalassenos
--Vita Aureliani