[ANSTHRLD] Clients who want runes

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Sun May 3 21:40:59 PDT 2009

> The issue is with the device.  He wants to stick a rune on it.  Not
> just any rune, but a rune whose name translates to 'helm of awe',
> which phrase shows up in the volsungsaga sagas as some sort of
> mystical protection.
>
> I know that we won't register armory consisting of a single abstract
> symbol so we need to add additional widgets (acceptable secondary
> charges) somewhere somehow, but would that be enough to let this thing
> fly?

1. The rune must be a period rune drawn in period style.
2. The rune cannot be the sole charge on the armory. (You can also
make the rune a tertiary, say on a roundel, fess, pale...)
3. The rest of the design must meet SCA rules and the whole must not
conflict with anything we protect.

That's it.  I usually suggest putting it on an ordinary since
ordinaries bring the design into period style and can look good on
round shields. The meaning of the rune is of zero importance so long
as it's a period rune. Some people think hounds stand for
faithfulness, some believe they stand for cowardice. Whatever. They're
period charges and what heraldic writers over the years have said
about meaning means nothing with regard to registerability. Likewise
the meaning of runes, whether assigned by period believers in magic or
a small press out of Flagstaff. :)

- Teceangl
--
Head returns off at the pass -