[ANSTHRLD] Clients who want runes

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun May 3 23:13:44 PDT 2009

On Sun, 3 May 2009, Teceangl <tierna.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
> The meaning of the rune is of zero importance so long as it's a
> period rune. Some people think hounds stand for faithfulness, some
> believe they stand for cowardice. Whatever. They're period charges
> and what heraldic writers over the years have said about meaning
> means nothing with regard to registerability. Likewise the meaning
> of runes, whether assigned by period believers in magic or a small
> press out of Flagstaff.

At the risk of confusing things, I'd like to tangent off.  If you are
using MULTIPLE runes in the same way that you'd use any alphabet to
spell out actual words in some language (Old Norse or otherwise),
then, as with any written text in armory, you must provide an English
translation.

But the translation requirement applies to words, like runes that
spell out TECEANGL, or combinations of words, like runes that spell
out DANIEL IS A NITHING.  Same way that, if you put "Owen me fecit" in
a device, you'd have to say that it's Latin for "Owen made me", or
"wllglwlch wllchlwm mwmllch" is Welsh for "be a kinslayer, ask me
how", or whatever.

The requirement doesn't apply to one single rune, in the same way that
the Cyrillic letter "ya", the Greek letter zeta, or the Roman letter
"Q" have no translations -- you just say "it is the Scotto-Klingon
cuneiform letter 'zowie'" or whatever and provide documentation for
that assertion.

So, does that confuse things sufficiently?  Good.

Denyel de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com