[ANSTHRLD] A note on line art emblazons

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Wed May 20 10:53:27 PDT 2009

Greetings all -

There seems to be some confusion as late over what is meant be line art with regards to the forms submitted.  I apologize if you know this, but I wanted to send it out so that newer heralds were clear.  I have seen this confusion many times so it is worth reminding people.

Ok, that being said please not that line art is not the same a black and white, though you may hear them used interchangeable at times.  That means if your device or badge uses sable as a tincture, please make sure it is not filled in on the line art version.  Sable fields will show as argent.  Ermine spots will be their outline, not a fully black spot.  Charges such as annulets, bordures, lozenges will be white with the edges black lines.  Also i would recommend if you have a sable charge with withe detailing then please on the line art version make it argent with black detailing.

In short line art is just that.  A line drawing without ANY color filled in.

This public service announcement is brought to you by the letters l and a and by the number 3.

Alasdair