[ANSTHRLD] Name documentation

Coenred coenred at hellsgate-sca.org
Sat May 23 02:07:19 PDT 2009

Honored Heralds,

As some of you no doubt saw on the commentary from the April ILoI, Duncan Maxwell ran into a conflict.  The submitter is a Soldier in my platoon and I am trying to help him with this.  The recommendation is that he add a locative to the name and clear the conflict.  His persona is mid to late 16th century Scot.  We have found on the internet that there is a border region called Nithsdale and that there was actually a Maxwell presence their.  As such he wants to submit Duncan Maxwell of Nithsdale.  My question is: how would I document this construction of the name?  Secondly, do I have enough evidence of the existence of this area in period?  Below are the sites I could find easily:

http://www.theborderers.info/borderland.html another enthusiast group

http://books.google.com/books?id=pt8avbYJZ9MC&pg=PA310&lpg=PA310&dq=nithsdale+in+the+16th+century&source=bl&ots=HkeQHxJN4H&sig=Ch-4bIFl-7ie7K826obj1DXviuI&hl=en&ei=B7oXStmfEpOnsAbnxYm5Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

http://www.maxwellsociety.com/ information found under "Maxwells' Scotland" and then "Maxwell Castles"

As we are deployed right now and have no access to a library, this is really the best I can do.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Coenred aet Rauenesdale
Company of Hellsgate