[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check help--Griffin

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:31:44 PDT 2009

> I am interested in registering the badge:  [Fieldless] A griffin erminois
> In "plain" English, it's a yellow griffin with little black ermine spots
> scattered over him, rearing up on one hind leg with his wings up behind him
> (in the default segreant posture).  Some things are really much simpler to
> just say in blazon-ese.  (And no, I don't have an emblazon up on the
> internet somewhere, sorry.)

Griffins default to segreant. Glossary of Terms, Table 4.
And yes, blazon is wonderful shorthand.

> If I understand the rules correctly, it should be clear of:
> Artemisia, Kingdom of
> The following badge associated with this name was registered in December of
> 1998 (via Artemisia):
> (Fieldless) A griffin passant erminois.

One CD for fieldless armory under X.4.a.ii.
One CD for change of posture under X.4.h.

> And it conflicts with:
> Brígiða Ingvarsdóttir
> The following device associated with this name was registered in September
> of 2003 (via Meridies):
> Per chevron azure and gules, a gryphon segreant erminois.

One CD for fieldless armory under X.4.a.ii.
No posture CD.
Correct, this is a conflict.

> Are there other conflicts that I have missed?  If there is really only one
> conflict, with a recent registration, then I think it's worthwhile to try to
> get a letter of permission to conflict from Brigi∂a.
>
> On the other hand, if there are multiple conflicts, I could use some help
> designing a simple, fieldless, conflict-free griffin badge, if there is such
> a thing. <grin>

That's the only one.
I, personally, would be reluctant to give permission to conflict when
the only difference is fieldless, so a contingency plan is a good
idea.

The wings of a griffin are considered half the charge for purposes of
an X.4.d. C:.
[a griffin segreant Or winged argent maintaining an acorn Or] Conflict
with ... Sable, a griffin segreant within an annulet Or. There is one
CD for removing the annulet. There is no difference for adding the
small maintained acorn. Under normal circumstances, the wings of a
griffin are considered half the charge for purposes of tincture
changes. However, this griffin is drawn with abnormally small wings.
We register the emblazon, not the blazon, so we cannot give a CD for
changing the tincture of wing color only unless the griffin is drawn
with normal proportions. In a winged quadruped monster such as a
griffin, a normal depiction has the wings one-third to one-half of the
visual weight of the charge. If the griffin were drawn this way,
neither this conflict, nor the other conflicts listed here, would
apply. [Alana Griffin , 10/01, R-Æthelmearc]

Think about winging yours Or or pean, perhaps. Instant CD and pretty
durned elegant.

- Teceangl
--
Head returns off at the pass -