[ANSTHRLD] Chronological list of groups

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Fri Nov 6 16:26:55 PST 2009

Daniel replied to me:

>On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
>> Corpora says that [baronies and principalities] are alike in some
>> ways and different in others.  That is not "equal".  "They are alike
>> in status and in the ability to administer other branches within
>> their borders, but differ in that baronies possess a Baron and/or
>> Baroness, ceremonial representatives appointed by the Crown, and
>> therefore have the ability to create and administer awards, while
>> provinces do not."  Neither of these have anything to do with what
>> order they march in.

>I suppose we differ on the interpretation of "status".
>Corpora unclarity shock horror.

It's much more fundamental than that.  We differ on whether to interpret it at all.  I cannot see any justification for "interpreting" it to say something it doesn't say, and then giving that interpretation, which is not in Corpora, precedence over the choice of the kingdom.

You believe that if Corpora doesn't tell us how branches have to march, then we should attempt to figure out what it would have said if it did.  I believe that if Corpora doesn't say something, then it doesn't say it.

I am more willing to do this given that the BoD stays out of the medieval side as much as possible.  The only statement in Corpora about how marches happen (that I know of) is that the peers must march together.

Corpora does not state, in any form, that baronies and provinces must be treated exactly the same.  It just doesn't.  If it did, the kingdom couldn't change it.  Corpora doesn't state that groups which are "alike in status" must march in the order in which they were established.  While Corpora takes precedence over kingdom law "if there is any conflict among the provisions of the following types of rules", Daniel's extension of its meaning does not take precedence over kingdom choice.

One king could put the baronies first.  Another could put the province first.  A third could start with the province, then march in the shires and end with the baronies.  A fourth could have the baronies with their cantons directly behind them.  It simply isn't determined by Corpora.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin