[ANSTHRLD] Chronological list of groups

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Nov 6 16:58:56 PST 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Daniel replied to me:
>
>> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
>>> Corpora says that [baronies and principalities] are alike in some
>>> ways and different in others.  That is not "equal".  "They are
>>> alike in status and in the ability to administer other branches
>>> within their borders, but differ in that baronies possess a Baron
>>> and/or Baroness, ceremonial representatives appointed by the
>>> Crown, and therefore have the ability to create and administer
>>> awards, while provinces do not."  Neither of these have anything
>>> to do with what order they march in.
>>
>> I suppose we differ on the interpretation of "status".
>> Corpora unclarity shock horror.
> You believe that if Corpora doesn't tell us how branches have to
> march, then we should attempt to figure out what it would have said
> if it did.

That is not my belief.  I think that a not implausible case can be
made that Corpora did tell us, by a reasonable reading of "alike in
status" and "lateral transfer", with an analogy with the peerages.
Certainly not a rip-my-arm-off-if-I'm-wrong line of reasoning by any
means!  But I think it at least arguable and not implausible.

> Corpora doesn't state that groups which are "alike in status" must
> march in the order in which they were established.

Nor does it say so for peerages either, where it *does* say that they
must be considered as one group: "The Crown may establish the order of
precedence within the peerage according to the laws and customs of the
kingdom. However, the Chivalry, the Laurel, and the Pelican are of
equal precedence and must be considered as one group."  A march could
be oldest-last, for example, or by name alphabetical order.

If my interpretation be correct, baronies and provinces would simply
have to be considered by a rule that takes no account of the
difference.

Danihel de Lindicolino
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com