[ANSTHRLD] Chronological list of groups

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Fri Nov 6 04:28:22 PST 2009

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair <donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us> wrote:

>  Does anyone know where I can find a list of groups in the order they
>  were created?  I know where I can find when the baronies were elevated,
>  but I need the info for when the shires and cantons were created.

Well that is a good question.  This is the closest that I am currently aware of.

http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/docs/histbranchlist.php

It gives the branch name and when the name was registered if it is in the SCA Ordinary.  Now this does not exactly match up with when the group was founded necessarily.  It could be that they spent some time trying to get a name registered.

As an aside, realize the list of founding of the baronies (possibly this one? http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/OP/barony-dates.php ) may not reflect when the group was founded.  just when the group became a barony.  You probably already knew that, but it is useful for those who may not have thought about it before.

For instance Steppes shows beign elevated to a barony 8-30-1975, but it was a march prior to that.  Which does bring up an interesting point about the first list above.  It shows the branch name Barony of the Steppes registered in Oct 1976.  This is not when March of the Steppes was registered, just when the name change.  If i was to guess I would say March of the Steppes was registered June 1973 as that was when the original device was registered.  The ordinary does not specify though.

Sorry, hope I did not make things more confusing for you. :-D

Alasdair