[ANSTHRLD] anvil?

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 26 03:20:52 PST 2009

Like the one labeled "medieval square anvil" at <http://
www.blackiron.us/anvil-types.html>?

> Is there a default anvil?

Probably.  Most items in the Ordinary and Armorial that include
anvils just say "anvil", without any further description.  When a
generic noun is used alone in a blazon, it usually refers to a
default type from which others can be distinguished by further
description--like in the few instances of "single-horned anvil",
"double-horned anvil", and "two-horned anvil".  But I couldn't find
any precedent stating the salient characteristics of the default.

> Is it possible to have a different kind?

The three rules most likely to have bearing on this question are:
"Artifacts that were known in the period and domain of the Society
may be registered in armory, provided they are depicted in their
period forms," "Elements must be recognizable solely from their
appearance," and, "Elements must be reconstructible in a recognizable
form from a competent blazon," <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/
laurel/rfs.html#7>.  If square anvils were used in period heraldry,
you can forget about the first one and apply, "Ordinaries and other
charges used in period armory may be registered," instead.

There's one registered device incorporating a square anvil.  As it
was registered in 1973, however, that doesn't tell you much about how
one would be received now.

Here's what I'd do:

1)  Look for a period emblazon of a square anvil that the client
could emulate, and stand ready to offer that as supporting
documentation, should it be required, for the submitted emblazon.

2)  If a period emblazon could not be found, look for period images
of square anvils or photos of surviving square anvils made in period,
to establish its status as a period artifact.  Look for period
emblazons of other types of anvils that the client could use as
models.  Keep all of it on hand in case it's needed as supporting
documentation.

There're anvils at <http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/
bsb00001430/images/index.html?seite=295> and <http://daten.digitale-
sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00001430/images/index.html?seite=379>, by the
way.  I'm sure there are more in the armorials indexed at <http://
coblaith.net/Heraldry/Armorials/default.html>.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>