[ANSTHRLD] Anton de LaTour name & device

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Oct 9 16:12:35 PDT 2009

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Anton De Latour <delatour at ymail.com> wrote:
> I am assuming the vine is one thing too many it does have fruit
> (refer to my email with the PDF Attachment) and leaves more than a
> wavy line. Furthermore, the vine is not on the tower it is at the
> base spanning to its chief and dexter sides.

The original picture that I saw did not have the grapevine.

In this picture: the grapevine is an obvious charge, way bigger than
an artistic detail.  It would be blazoned something along the lines of
"within a wreath of grapevine proper fructed purpure" or some such.
(Maybe heraldic defaults would shorten the blazon.)  Except that a
wreath is circular and almost closed at the top.  "Within the branches
of a bifurcated grape plant etc."?  Difficulty in blazon can be an
indication of non-period style, and non-period style is cause for
return.

If I remember aright, the original rule-of-thumb complexity count was
7, and this grapevine would indeed drive it to 10.  As the usual limit
enforced is 8, I would expect the design to be returned on those
grounds at least (and possibly for unblazonability).

Monsieur, would you be amenable to dropping the grape plant?  Or at
most making it a proportioned small artistic detail on the tower, like
a couple of vines stretching up the sides of the tower up half a story
or so?  Then it looks like period-style armory to me.

An alternative would be to revamp the bordure to hold grape-related
things instead of its current tinctures and semy-de-lys.  Most of my
immediate thoughts would move it further from period style.  But
something registerable could be done.

If a design is registerable, you can have it regardless of how close
to common period style it is, but I do like to mention period style
notes in case that influences the client's decision.

Denyel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com