[ANSTHRLD] Inheriting augmented arms or reserved charges?

Darin Herndon darin.herndon at chk.com
Tue Aug 3 14:33:53 PDT 2010

Daniel wrote:

"Leaving aside restricted charges and considering augmentations:"

But that actually raises a separate question.  Should an augmentation be treated as a restricted charge?  (Again, only in cases where the heir seeks to use the inherited arms for themselves.)  Should an heir display and use arms to represent the heir which include "and as an augmentation..." if the heir holds no augmentations?  Or should the blazon be changed when transferred to remove the augmentation comment and just leave the element as a blazon?  Or should only the unaugmented arms be usable by the heir?

I am specifically looking at cases of use by the heir, not simply ownership of a parent's arms or display attributed to the prior holder.

I don't have an answer for those.  I'm just considering and trying to think through the implications.

I'm not on OSCAR but if someone wants to copy my comments (into a discussion on this topic) to OSCAR I'm fine as long as they are copied in full or at least that relevant portions are not taken out of context or misrepresented.

Etienne

This email (and attachments if any) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and destroy all copies of the email (and attachments if any).