[ANSTHRLD] Inheriting augmented arms or reserved charges?

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Tue Aug 3 16:26:23 PDT 2010

Daniel aksed Tostig:

>> Laurel registers augmentations, but Crowns award them. Since the
>> award itself can't be inherited ...

>Um, please write out the rest of the thought.

Since the award itself can't be inherited, he cannot inherit the representation of that award on Galen's arms.

Daughters of Queens can't bear a chaplet of roses, sons of knights can't inherit a chain, etc.

Galen cannot simply designate him a heraldic heir of his augmentation.

The kicker in the deck is that these arms could pass as unaugmented arms.  They are blazoned as "Gules, a bend wavy between two double-bitted battle axes Or, and as an augmentation on the bend a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable."  The arms "Gules, on a bend wavy between two double-bitted battle axes Or, a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable and overall a label argent" could be registered as ordinary augmented arms (with Galen's permission to conflict).

In that registration, the unrestricted star is simply a tertiary, because Galen's augmentation does not look like an augmentation; it looks like arms with a black star as a tertiary.

This registration would not simply be a transfer; it must go through the ordinary process to see if it passes as ordinary arms -- and it hasn't done so yet.  I suspect that the commentary would focus on the twin issues of complexity and presumptuousness.  ("It sure looks awfully close to a previously registered augmentation."  Laurel would have to make a judgment call, I suspect.

And he couldn't just drop the label after the death of his father.  On Galen's arms, that is an augmentation.

There's a workaround (or a cheat code).  Near the end of his life, Galen resigns his augmentation, then registers the same emblazon as a simple arms change.  **IF** it ever passes as unaugmented arms, then his son can inherit it.

Until then, he can't use it in the SCA, just as he can't wear his father's white belt, which, as his father's legal property, he would also inherit.

This is why I want an augmentation that is unambiguously an augmentation.  I won't register an augmentation that is really just a simple change of device.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin