[ANSTHRLD] Inheriting augmented arms or reserved charges?

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 3 18:14:06 PDT 2010

Inheriting augmentations to arms:

Consider the Arms of Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk (third creation), Gules,
a bend between six cross-crosslets fitchy argent.  He was awarded an
Augmentation (by Henry VIII) of on the bend an escutcheon Or charged with a
demi-lion rampant pierced through the mouth by an arrow within a double tressure
flory counterflory of the first.[1]

Thomas was granted the augmentation, which has persisted to the present arms of
Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 18th Duke of Norfolk.

No, a person registering a new device should not be allowed anything to which
they aren't entitled, however I think that transferred devices that are
inherited[2]should be exempt from that, as they are a recorded history of those
devices and not being used to show false claim, but to honor the legacy of the
person who bore those arms in the past.  Just note the recipient of the
augmentation in transfer of registration, so Galen's son might one day transfer
ownership of his father's augmented device to his registered name, but the OP
would note that the augmentation was awarded to Galen of Bristol.  The person
receives the award.  The arms receive the augmentation.

[1] note the spiffy use of metal on metal!
[2] transferred armory between two living people should adhere to the rules of
the recipient being entitled to charges being received.

Just my two cents.

Alden Drake

PS - If I will you my diploma, you're entitled to display it all you want.
Though why you'd want to show off a piece of paper with my name on it is beyond
me. :)