[ANSTHRLD] Inheriting augmented arms or reserved charges?

Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 12:33:35 PDT 2010

PERSONAL OPINION:  As the "Ansteorran star" (mullet of five greater and five lesser points) is to the best of my knowledge not a protected or exclusive-use charge, in the immediate case of Galen's putative heir it would no longer be an augmentation in his inherited bearing, simply a tertiary charge.

Should there be a direct & explicit ruling beyond the citation Alasdair has made?  Probably - and pre-emptively, in MY opinion...

Amra, living up to my tagline *

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle
* Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen

> From: jds at randomgang.com
> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 14:04:19 -0500
> To: heralds at lists.ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] Inheriting augmented arms or reserved charges?
>
> Good find, Alasdair.
>
> I would offer the opinion that there is a lovely grey area between
> "owns" and "can personally bear/use", for cases of heraldic property.
>
> -Emma
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
> > Admin Handbook IV.G Heraldic Wills  states:
> >
> > "3. Upon the actual death of the owner, the designated heir may ask for a transfer of the item(s) willed to that designated heir. The submission is handled as any other transfer, except that instead of the letter extending the transfer and accepting the transfer, the submitter notes the existence of the heraldic will and the death of the prior owner.
> >
> > The new submitter must establish personal entitlement to use any restricted or reserved element contained in any armory transferred."
> >
> > I think the key bit here is that the person who inherits the arms must show "personal entitlement".  I would say that extends to  the augmentation and entitlement to the augmentation must be shown before it can be inherited.
> >
> > Alasdair

[SNIP]
> >>  Galen of Bristol's son asked me last week whether he could use or
> >>  display his father's augmented arms.
[SNIP]