[ANSTHRLD] "Lovecock" was: Eldwin's Submission IV

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 4 02:28:47 PDT 2010

Eldwin Nightowl wrote:
> The submitter, who loves chickens, intends to register the last
> name "Lovecock."

> http://www.archive.org/stream/collectionsfor1921stafuoft/
> collectionsfor1921stafuoft_djvu.txt  Lovecock

It'd be better to cite <http://www.archive.org/stream/
collectionsfor1921stafuoft#page/17/mode/1up/search/Lovecock>, since
that's one step closer to the original document.  (The URL you gave
leads to a transcription performed by Optical Character Recognition
software, which frequently introduces errors.)

This is the first section of a calendar of deeds in the William Salt
Library in Staffordshire, newly written at the time of its
publication in 1921.  The introductory statement on the calendar
<http://www.archive.org/stream/collectionsfor1921stafuoft#page/n24/
mode/1up> describes it as, ". . .giving a brief abstract of each
deed, with the names of the parties and of the witnesses. . .," but
does not say whether the spelling of the names has been normalized.
There's a good chance that they have been, since the purpose of the
calendar was to make it easier for historians to find deeds relating
to specific individuals or events.  Before citing this source, you
should try to find out.  (One way is to look within the text for
variant spellings of names--any names, not just the one you're trying
to document.)

>  http://www.archive.org/stream/englishsurnamest00bardiala#page/473
> Lovecock

No dated instance of "Lovecock" is given in the text, which is
largely a discussion of the origins of modern surnames and,
therefore, contains a great number of modern spellings.  (Consider
the page facing that containing the reference to "Lovecock", where
the names "Merry" and "Merriman" are discussed but "Merrye" and
"Meryman" are the cited historical forms.)  Without any information
on when the variant in question came into use, this isn't much help.

> http://books.google.com/books?
> id=ci42AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=Henry
> +Lovecock&source=bl&ots=M2PJivKf4r&sig=eQk0zX_HAoGEtF-K_FD2Vz-
> SDFA&hl=en&ei=KZxHTMCsIcOL4Aani7j7CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&res
> num=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Henry%20Lovecock&f=false Henry
> Lovecock Philip Lovecock

Wow, that's a lot of URL!  Just so you know, for a Google Books
citation, the dynamic portion of the address need only include the
book I.D. and the page number, as in <http://books.google.com/books?
id=ci42AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA66>.

The cited page shows virtually no variation in spelling, despite
there being a lot of repetitions in both given names and surname, in
names recorded over a twenty year period in the 14th century.  The
only names that might be variants of one another are the surnames
"Wythern" and "Wythorn", each of which appears once.  Every instance
of "William" is recorded as "Wm.", every "Reynold" "Reynold", every
"Litchfield" "Litchfield", every "Pleigh" "Pleigh".   That degree of
consistency in records from that period is unheard-of.  I'd bet money
the author (or his source, whatever that might be) normalized the names.

I did find a few dated period forms of the desired byname (by
checking the online Middle English dictionary, finding mention of
them in quotes s.n. "love (n. (1))" <http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/
mec/med-idx?type=id&id=MED26245>, and then looking up the cited
sources in the Web Archive).

In a tax roll from the first year of the reign of Edward III (1327 on
the current callendar) <http://www.archive.org/stream/
kirbysquestforso00grearich#page/79/mode/1up> are found as surnames
"Lovecok" (pp. 90, 99, 131, and 197), "Lovecoks" (p. 91), and
"Louecok" (pp. 191 and 209).  "Lovecok" and "Louecok" also appear in
the roll as given names (pp. 174, 197).

A Thomas Lovecok is mentioned in a document from June 1st, 1318
<http://www.archive.org/stream/calendarpatentr13offigoog#page/n195/
mode/1up> and a Henry Louecok in one from March 2, 1321 <http://
www.archive.org/stream/calendarpatentr13offigoog#page/n579/mode/1up/>
according to the Calendar of the Patent Rolls Preserved in the Public
Record Office, Edward II, Volume III.  The same text, Henry IV,
Volume I, indicates a William Loucok is mentioned in a document from
November 17th, 1399 <http://www.archive.org/stream/
calendarpatentr16offigoog#page/n177/mode/1up>.  And Henry VI, Volume
VI, shows a Philip Lovecok in a document from October 14th, 1441
<http://www.archive.org/stream/calendarpatentr00blacgoog#page/n16/
mode/1up/search/cok> and a Thomas Lovecok in one from October 18th of
the same year <http://www.archive.org/stream/
calendarpatentr00blacgoog#page/n22/mode/1up>.

I couldn't find any instances of "-cock" in names, but "cock" appears
as a common noun in quotes in the online MED, s.n. "cok (n.(1))",
dated to around 1393 and around 1450, while "cok" is found in similar
contexts in quotes from 1390, 1398, around 1400, 1425, and around
1450.  An attested form is always better than a speculative one, but
if your client is unduly attached to the "-c-" you could could use
these to support the argument that at the end of the 14th century and
the beginning of the 15th "cok" and "cock" were interchangeable, and
that argument to support "Lovecock" as a plausible variant of the
recorded "Lovecok".

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>