[ANSTHRLD] Two Charges in Chief

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Thu Aug 5 13:01:54 PDT 2010

The concern raised was whether the mullet and annulet conjoined are considered one or two charge _groups_.  I am stealing the words here, but "there is a longstanding precedent forbidding multiple tertiary charge groups or the appearance of charges which would be considered primary and secondary were they on the field if they are placed upon another charge."

As primary and secondary they had already been ruled to be a single charge group but Tertiary had not been mentioned.  Luckilly there was a submission ( http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=145&id=12640 ) that was just decided in April and had the LoAR published July 30th.

Lucy of Brakendelve.  Name and device. Gules, on a dragonfly Or a mullet voided and interlaced within and conjoined to an annulet sable.  (accepted via East)

"Precedent on items within annulets was set on the Cover Letter to the March 2009 LoAR where it says "When both are present in a design as part of a primary charge group, or where they would be expected to be a secondary charge, the widget and annulet will both be considered part of the same group." We are extending this to tertiary charges: a mullet within an annulet, when placed entirely on another charge, is considered a single group. Therefore, this device does not violate our ban forbidding multiple tertiary charge groups on a single underlying charge."

So to make a long answer short, the mullet voided and interlaced, within and conjoined to an annulet on the chief of the proposed device is fine.

Alasdair