[ANSTHRLD] fess urdy, Thor's hammers (was: Device attempt. . .)

Ronald Blackman eirik at hot.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 18:35:45 PDT 2010

> It's possible that you could end up with three Thor's hammers voided
> sable if you made the black line much, much thicker.  On the other
> hand, a Thor's hammer could be ruled too complex to void, based on
> the guidelines in the cover letter to the November, 1992 LoAR <http://
> heraldry.sca.org/loar/1992/11/cvr.html>.  I took an image of one I
> had handy and subjected it to the photoreduction test (as described
> in the June, 2004 LoAR <http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/
> 2004/06/04-06lar.html#57>), and the results were not favorable.

Having done a precedent dive looking at fimbriation only, it seems simple
geometric charges can be fimbriated. I found that some types of crosses
can't be fimbriated and I found the following:

Precedent:
A bell is not simple enough to void and thus not simple enough for X.4.j.ii
to apply. [Azelin Cola of Wishford, 08/00, R-East]
Laurel Sovereign of Arms: Elsbeth Anne Roth
LoAR Date: 08/01/2000
Precedents: The Tenure of Elsbeth Anne Roth (June 1999 - July 2001)

The fact that a bell is not simple enough would lead me to believe that a
Thor's Hammer is not simple enough either.

Eirik Halfdanarson