[ANSTHRLD] Herald's Point Question

Brian O'hUilliam brianoftheloch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 22:20:47 PDT 2010

To reiterate Master Robin's point,
   From the research I have done into vocal heraldry, displaying the arms of
a person or group means that you speak for that person or group.  When I
wear Master Modius' tabard, I am his voice.  He is responsible for what I
say (as am I, of course).  If I am wearing the tabard of the Barony of Loch
Soilleir or of Ansteorra, I am speaking for that ruler (Baron or King,
etc) or the group itself.  In this case, an assault on the herald is
actually an assault on those lands and its ruler because that tabard means
the herald is their official representative.

To Ivo's question-
  You are running an heraldic point that is presumably for vocal heraldry
and not a consultation point, correct?
Are you making announcements as the Provioncial representative speaking as
the Province directed by its ruler (in this case, the Crown)?  Not really.
You are making general announcements throughout the day and heralding
lists.  This is not speaking as the Province, but rather for the benefit of
the Province.
The best bet is to use the green with the gold crossed trumpets.  Is it
overused?  Perhaps, but does it work?  Does it give people a clear sign of
what is happening in that pavilion or by whoever is wearing the tabard?
Absolutely.  Is it period?  No, but sometimes things became SCAisms and it
just plain works.  Will it clearly and easily achieve your goal?  Yes.
Now, as far as that symbol meaning you are making announcements as an
official representative on behalf of the CoA, I have never heard that
before.  It has come to mean a generic herald on duty.  I wear it when I
herald for people if they do not have their own tabards.  I have seen people
wear it when heralding lists for at making announcements at Pennsic.  They
use it on signs at consultation tables at Gulf Wars.  Etc, etc, etc.

If you use the green with crossed trumpets (which is probably the least
presumptuous), you may get people thinking you are running a consultation
table, but that's the risk you run with the different forms of heraldry
period.  If you use the Mooneschadowe arms or badge, people will probably
not quickly make the connection that that pavilion is for vocal heraldry, as
Master Robin mentioned.  Additionally, I think it is a bit presumptuous.

In Service,
Brian O'hUilliam
Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
(for at least a few more days.....)