[ANSTHRLD] Herald's Point Question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Aug 16 13:16:00 PDT 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Brian O'hUilliam <brianoftheloch at gmail.com>
wrote:
[at Steppes Warlord]
> I was making announcements for the site and tourney, assisting with
> the operation of the event.  I was not speaking FOR the Steppes.  My
> word was not that of the Barony or the Excellencies Duncan and
> Genevieve.  I was a simple messenger.  Even though I had been asked
> some higher ups of the group, and even by the Landed Nobility (in
> other cases, not this one), to make official announcements, I was
> not their voice.  I had not been endowed with the ability to speak
> for them, I was simply asked to make an announcement.
> Perhaps what I am describing is a hierarchy of heralds where there
> is one herald that speaks for the group or noble and several others
> that make announcements that assist the main herald perform their
> duty.

"Simple messenger" is one of the defining jobs of a herald.

In an ideal SCA, each tourney entrant really should have their own
herald (well-paid, of course) who should wear their lord/lady's
tabard.  Providing site heralds is something of a compromise and
courtesy, rather like water-bearers.

I'm not entirely sure that wearing a tabard in period strictly meant
speaking for the lord/lady.  Today, the English College of Arms
processes in at the State Opening of Parliament, though they make no
announcements.  On the other hand, they are members of the English
College and might in principle be called on to make announcements or
otherwise work in an official capacity.  I wonder if they wore their
tabards while making heraldic visitations?

I am inclined to think that it's fine for list heralds (even if
visiting from outside) to wear a tabard with the arms of the group,
preferable to a tabard with the CoA badge or no tabard at all (ceteris
paribus and if no problems with heat).  In particular, I don't see it
as an abuse or usurpation.  This may be an emotional reaction, or a
simple desire to splendor that is at least more realistic.  It might
be justified as saying that it's plausible for deputies for a herald
to wear the same arms of the herald (as pro tempore members of the
Kindergarden of Heralds of the Steppes, as it were).

Danielis de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com