[ANSTHRLD] Herald's Point Question

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:31:39 PDT 2010

I suspect period tournaments would be overseen by the feudal holder of
the landed estate where the list was held particularly if the royal court
wasn't there.  The steward of the household probably acted as much like
our heralds point and event autocrat.  There may be some research for
someone in the future to examine period accounts of small and large tourneys
as well as feasts to see who is organizing and actually running them.
It would be interesting to see what role was played by the herald in the employ of the
landed noble on whose estate the tourney was held.  Did said herald
play a role in organizing the lists?

For your purpose the crossed trumpet banner and an attractive lettered
sign "heralds point" should explain things to the populace.

Magnus