[ANSTHRLD] {TH}orkell {o,}lf_ss - another device attempt

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Aug 25 21:49:12 PDT 2010

(My mailer was garbling some characters in the Subject line; I had to
replace them.)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Joshua Brandl <norfildur at hotmail.com> wrote:
> ok.. i think I've got one that will pass...

That phrase can be as damning as "Hold my beer and watch this"
or "I'd like to register my tattoo".

> Blazon Attempt:
> Sable and Argent  gyronny arrondi, a mullet of 8 points pierced counterchanged ?
>
> Link to the emblazon :
> http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/aednial/final.gif

For a division of the field, the division is listed first, and then
the tinctures in its pieces.  The SCA does not capitalize words in the
blazon except
- the tinture Or
- The first word
- "Fieldless" and "Tinctureless"
- proper names, like "Bowen knot"
We rarely use digits.

"Gyronny arrondi sable and argent, a mullet of eight points pierced
counterchanged".

Charges generally should be drawn Big, Bold, and Butch to fill the
space available.  A mullet alone on the field would stretch much
nearer the edges -- perhaps double the diameter and therefore 4 times
the area.

As you get more into heraldry, you might want to read the Rules for
Submission.  <http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/rfs.html> Not exactly an
exciting read, and they may not all sink in at once -- I know they
didn't when I read them.  But some things will sink in, and it gives
an idea of where to find rules.

RfS VIII has the armorial style and composition rules.

     3.  Armorial Identifiability - Elements must be used in a design
     so as to preserve their individual identifiability.

     Identifiable elements may be rendered unidentifiable by
     significant reduction in size, marginal contrast, excessive
     counterchanging, voiding, or fimbriation, or by being obscured by
     other elements of the design. ...

     4.   Obtrusive Modernity  - Armory may not use obtrusively modern
     designs.

     "Modern" is defined as anything outside the period of the
     Society. ...

     d.  Modern Style - Generally modern style in the depiction of
     individual elements or the total design may not be registered.

     Artistic techniques and styles developed after 1600 should not be
     used in Society armory.  Charges may not be used to create
     abstract or op-art designs, or be patterned after comic book art,
     fantasy art, pointillism etc.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Op_Art>
"Op art, also known as optical art, is a style[1] of visual art that
makes use of optical illusions.

"'Optical art is a method of painting concerning the interaction
between illusion and picture plane, between understanding and
seeing.'[2] Op art works are abstract, with many of the better known
pieces made in only black and white. ..."

I would say that this proposal is op art as it is.  If the mullet were
drawn the correct size, it would be more so.

One would have to check whether there have been any registrations of
something as simple as a mullet counterchanged on a plain gyronny
field.  A priori, I'd tend to expect it to be excessive
counterchanging and op art too, but I've certainly been wrong often
enough.

Danihel Lincolinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com