[ANSTHRLD] Using Primary Sources WAS {TH}orkell {o, }lf_ss - another device attempt

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 19:39:51 PDT 2010

The second part:

The Parker reference [There are two printed editions and an on-line edition] you should be referring to is under the entry 'Pierced' http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/Jpglossp.htm#Pierced with the graphic http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/images/m456a.gif showing "Or, chevron gules pierced with[or perforated by] a bend ermine[otherwise a bend ermine perforating a chevron gules]" -- HODSTOKE, or HADSTOCK, Suffolk

Normally Parker's undated references are post-period examples.  This is one of the exceptions.  Papworth cites "Or a chev. gu. pierced by a bend erm. [sic]" for Hodstoke in 'Glover's Ordinary, Cotton MS...1392 and 1459' ('Chevron, p 376)

I like Parker a lot, reference him frequently and encourage others to do the same.  However, like other secondary sources, I suggest using him to help blazon what others have done, not as a springboard for design.  Parker _can_ be used this way, but care must be taken to correspond the illustrations with dated examples.  Again, I suggest looking at period Rolls of Arms for design.

Unfortunately, a period example of piercing a chevron with a bend does not imply it is period _style_ to pierce a chevron with a chevron inverted.  It merely means that doing so can be blazoned using period _terms_.  There are three principal ways multiple chevrons were arranged in period: (1) Stacking http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/images/m110c.gif (2) with a chevron issuing from a fess and a second issuing from base [not normally seen in SCA heraldry] http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/images/m106b.gif  and (3) Braced http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/images/m076a.gif

Piercing a chevron with a chevron inverted _may_ be period, but it also may be either a step from period pracice or non-period style,  There are SCA Precedents that state there can not be two variations of the same charge in the same charge group (aka the "Sword and Dagger Rule").  I'm not sure where a chevron and an inverted chevron would fall within this or similar rulings about banning dissimilar postures of identical charges in the same charge group.  [Magnus or Daniel?]  Barring finding an applicable precedent, "Quarterly vert and Or, a chevron couched dexter and another sinister, conjoined at the points, counterchanged." (Bjorn Bjorklund, Device, Oct 1984) indicates it may be possib le, but something with a much later registration date would have been more encouraging.

Like the eight-point mullet, chevrons "fleury at the point" occur frequently enough in period, but mostly with arms associated with France or its allies.  As before, dong so with an ermine spot or some other charge is blazonable but not necessarily good period style.

My best attempt at a blazon is "Argent, a chevron issuing an ermine spot at the point sable, pireced by a chevron inverted issuing and ermine spot at the point gules."  I have severe reseervations about period style, but no conflicts observed.

Tostig