[ANSTHRLD] saltorel gules conjoined in the base (was {TH}orkell {o, }lf_ss - another device attempt)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Aug 31 20:28:48 PDT 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010, Joshua Brandl <norfildur at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Second Device Blazon:
> Argent, an annulet sable ensigned with a cross, interlaced by a
> saltorel gules conjoined in the base
>
> Second Device Image:
> http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/aednial/AnnuletInterlaced.gif
> see a coat of arms fro Borough of SOUTHWARK.
> http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/images/m518a.gif
> Go ahead and scratch the request on the annulet and
> saltire... apparently it was more commonly used that i knew...  it
> is known as the Southwark Cross, is commemorative of the martyrdom
> of St. George and was used as a device by the Bridge Estates
> Committee also has been referred to as the Bridge house mark. would
> not be passable.
>
> Links:
> http://http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/lcc.html#southwark%20bc
> http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/colours/c35.html

I have my own doubts about why it might not be passable, but I'm
curious about what yours are.  If it's because the borough of
Southwark registered them in 1905, that is not per se a bar, as I
suspect their arms are probably not famous enough to protect.

The problem I have is blazonability.  The SCA uses "conjoined" to name
two different charges that are touching, so we can't use that blazon
as-is (even though England may be using it).  The best I can do now is
"Argent, an annulet ensigned with a cross sable, interlaced with a
saltorel conjoined in base to the ends of a bar gules" ... except that
that doesn't specify exactly how they're interlaced (what's on top of
what), and how the saltorel reaches around the level of the top of the
annulet but extends some way below.

Difficulty in blazon is an indication of non-period style.  From the
little I know, it might be a nice maker's mark or German merchant's
hausmark, but it has to be blazonable in standard SCA heraldic terms.

Danihel de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com