[ANSTHRLD] A cross between two anchors and two compass stars

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 16:27:13 PST 2010

Blazoning something as a cross between two different types of charge groups "in saltire" means the same thing as blazoning something as a cross between one type of charge group "in bend" and a second type of charge group "in bend sinister".  The resulting emblazon still gives the appearance of marshalling.

For example take the proposed "Quarterly sable and gules, a cross argent between in bend two anchors Or and in bend sinister two compass stars argent."  This was a period display for someone who had the birthright estates from "Sable, an anchor Or" and the estates by marriage from "Gules, a compass star argent."

Other period ways to display the same thing would be "Quarterly sable and gules, in bend two anchors Or and in bend sinister two compass stars argent" and "Per pale sable and gules, in fess an anchor Or and a compass star argent."