[ANSTHRLD] Acceptable sources and invented names

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 18:50:56 PST 2010

Unfortunately, your R&W source does not document what the submitter wants.  <Mably> is not <Mabry>.

The submitter can use whatever source they want to in a submission.  RfS II.3 states, in part, "No name will be disqualified based solely on its source."  That does not mean any source is a good source -- good sources have dates and source material for the exact spelling.  It also does not mean that the CoH or CoA cannot look elswhere to seek other documentation to support (or discredited) what is submitted.

If a Oxford Historical Society publication has dated instances of <Mabry> used as a (given?) name and cittes the source(s), fantastic.  Note, however, that is _documenting_ the name, not _inventing_ it.

Invented names are ones not found (yet) in source material, but which seem reasonable because they follow a naming _pattern_ found in source material.  At least three examples are needed to indicate a pattern.  More are even better.  If a Oxford Historical Society publication shows <Mabry> follows "the rules for name formation from a linguistic tradition compatible with the domain of the Society and the name elements used" (http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/rfs.html#2.3), fantastic.

If not, then "no changes allowed" means no registration granted if other documentation cannot be found during the commentary process to support it.

Tostig