[ANSTHRLD] Questions

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 23:20:29 PST 2010

You might also want to bookmark the SCA College of Heralds 'Glossary of Terms' at http://heraldry.sca.org/coagloss.html

The answer to your initial question are under the definitions:

Charge Group.
"A set of charges used together in a design as a single unit. The charges in groups in heraldry usually fall into standard arrangements depending on their number and what other items are involved in the design. A collection of charges that are arranged in such a standard arrangement are considered a single group, even if they are of different types and/or tinctures. For example, Per fess argent and gules, two towers sable and a roundel argent contains a single group of primary charges in the standard charge arrangement of two and one. See also Peripheral Charge Group, Primary Charge Group, Secondary Charge Group, Slot Machine Heraldry, and Tertiary Charge Group."

Secondary Charge Group.
"A group of charges on the field around the primary charge group. A design may have more than one secondary charge group. Each group may confer difference independently. In Gules, a pale between two mullets argent, the mullets are the secondary charge group. The secondary charges in Or, a maunche between three roundels azure are the roundels. In Sable, a chevron cotised argent between three millrinds Or there are two secondary charge groups, the cotises and the millrinds. In Per chevron argent and sable, two roses and a fleur-de-lys counterchanged and on a chief purpure three hearts argent, the chief is the secondary charge group. A peripheral charge group is a type of secondary charge group. See also Charge Group, Peripheral Charge Group, Primary Charge Group, Semy, Tertiary Charge Group."

In Katka's case, there are either two or three charge groups, depending on how it's blazoned.  In both "Azure, two scarpes between a fox courant contourny and a garb Or." and "Azure, on a bend sinister between a fox courant contourny and a garb Or, a scarpe azure." the fox and garb are two charge types forming a single secondary charge group.  Thus, there is only 1 CD for changes to the types of charges in it under the Rules for Submission http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/rfs.html

X.4e. Type Changes - "Significantly changing the type of any group of charges placed directly on the field, including strewn charges or charges overall, is one clear difference.
Changing the type of at least half of the charges in a group is one clear difference. Types of charges considered to be separate in period, for example a lion and an heraldic tyger, will be considered different. A charge not used in period armory will be considered different in type if its shape in normal depiction is significantly different. This means a lion would not be clearly different from a puma. Separate differences may be obtained from changing the types of charges in different charge groups. Changing Vert, a pale between two lions argent and a chief Or to Vert, a fess between two horses argent and a chief Or produces two separate differences. Since the edge partition line of a charge is part of its type, the change from a pale wavy to a pale embattled is one clear difference. Changing from a pale wavy to a fess embattled is also one change of type, not a change of type plus a change of edge partition."

What Ansteorra CoH Commentary missed (myself included), but SCA CoA Commentary didn't, was that the primry charge group in Kata's submission could be viewed in two different ways.  The CoH saw it only as two Or bendlets sinister.  The CoA saw it also as a single Or bend with an azure teritary charge upon it.  Both views are reasonable so both blazons are valid.

Tostig