[ANSTHRLD] Assistance at a local level ( was: Eldwin's Submission 1)

Ronald Blackman eirik at hot.rr.com
Wed Jul 28 11:53:10 PDT 2010

> I did not say there was total failure.  Nor am I solely focusing on this
> one issue or instance.  I will say I consider it a failure at some level
if
> a submitter has problems getting assistance or does not know who to turn
> to.  Whether it is a total failure or just a single instance that the
> submitter gets past is often a question of the person's own tenacity.  I
do
> know of people that, for one reason or another, had issues with getting
> submissions through and just given up.

I think we both agree something needs to be done better, whether it is just
putting the information where people can get it, or better training our
officers to follow up on people's submission or requests. I do like the fact
that the Heraldic Symposium this year is more focused on non-heralds as well
as heralds. Hopefully, this trend will continue and more of the information
will get out. Maybe we need to start teaching a class on how to submit your
name and arms that covers the procedure and who you should contact. I'll be
the first to admit the submissions process can be complicated to follow and
people don't know who to talk to. As a regional, I had someone contact me
about their submission because the local referred them to me. So sometimes
things work great and we don't hear about them, but sometimes they don't and
we all remember those for a long time.

Eirik Halfdanarson