[ANSTHRLD] Ansteorran Gazette August 2010

Obelisk Herald obelisk at herald.ansteorra.org
Wed Jul 28 20:51:30 PDT 2010

Ansteorran Gazette August 2010

Greetings!

It’s a new month (or nearly)!  For those that were unable to attend
Round Table, I’ll present here a summary of my report and touch on a
few things we discussed in the plenary meeting.

As always happens this time of year, we had a fair number of turnovers
in office over the past month or so. I’ve mentioned most if not all of
them in past letters, but for a very brief recap: Asterisk Herald,
Eclipse Herald, Orbis Herald, Zodiacus Herald, Armillary Pursuivant,
Sable Crane Pursuivant, and Sigillarius Pursuivant – all new in the
past quarter. Solstice Herald is open for applications until August
31, and Bordure Herald will be opening soon.

Submissions trivia:  for the quarter ending June 2010, we had 71
submissions in kingdom. For the registrations and returns from Laurel
for the same time period, we had 72 acceptances and 9 returns, which
is a 89% acceptant rate. Vivat!

I’ve completed Draft 1 of the revised Administrative Handbook of the
Ansteorran College of Heralds (not to be confused with the
Administrative Handbook of the College of Arms, at the SCA-wide
level). Most of the changes have centered around moving all the more
generic job duties into a single section for ‘all officers’. Three
other notable changes:

- Court Reporting.  If you herald a court yoursef, or there is a court
at your group’s event and you are the branch herald, you are
responsible for making sure a court report is filled out, signed, and
sent in.  This is a change from previous policy, in which every herald
that attended court was required to complete a court report form. As a
repeat: the group herald and the heralding-the-court herald must make
the report is filled out. This doesn’t mean you have to do it
yourself, but it does mean you must make sure it happens properly,
including being sent in.  Reports that aren’t sent in aren’t useful!

- Pursuivant Extraordinaire is a personal rank title that we are no
longer using. Instead, anyone who has taken the warranting class or
held a kingdom heraldic office within the past three years may
consider themselves a Pursuivant-at-large. (Star can also name
Pursuivants-at-large on a case-by-case basis.) There is no registry or
anything, although it would be nice to make sure the appropriate
Regional Herald is aware of your existence. The only duties of the job
are to continue to help out as needed with any heraldic matters. I
expect the regionals would appreciate any support you could give
because....

- Regional Heralds: I would like you to take a more proactive role in
following up on kingdom and Laurel returns. The submitter should be
getting notification from Arbalest now, but I would strongly encourage
you to contact the local branch herald (if there is one) or the
submitter directly (if there is not, or if the local branch herald
requests help) to make sure the submitter understands the return, and
understands what to do next to fix the problem. By all means use all
available resources (pursuivants-at-large, heralds discussion list,
direct questions to Asterisk, Bordure, or Star, etc); you needn’t do
it alone!

Draft 1 of the admin handbook is available for comments; just send me
an email and ask for it.  Draft 2 will hopefully be completed in the
next several months, and will contain a few “*how* to do this job”
articles for the various offices. If you have any suggestions of
information that would be Handy To Have, please let me know!

And a last reminder as I write this, that the Ansteorran Heraldic and
Scribal Symposium is this Saturday, July 31, and is FREE! Visit the
website at http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/ahss/ for more information.

With much thanks to our new Asterisk, Lord Aaron Whitewolf, the August
ILoI has already been posted for commentary. Enjoy!

In service,
Emma de Fetherstan
Star Principal Herald

*******
STATUS OF ILoIs

ILoI 2009-11: Commentary 2010-02.
LoI 2010-01 (Incl FT 2010-01). Laurel meeting Apr.

ILoI 2009-12: Commentary 2010-03.
LoI 2010-02. Laurel meeting May.

No ILoI 2010-01: No commentary.
LoI 2010-03 (Incl FT 2010-03). Laurel meeting June.

ILoI 2010-02: Commentary 2010-03.
LoI 2010-04. Laurel meeting July.

ILoI 2010-03: Comments due April 20
LoI 2010-05. Laurel meeting August.

ILoI 2010-04: Comments due May 20
LoI 2010-06. Laurel meeting September.

ILoI 2010-05: Comments due June 10
Decision meeting and LoI June.

ILoI 2010-06: Comments due July 10
Decision meeting and LoI July.

ILoI 2010-07: Comments due August 10.
Decision meeting and LoI August.

ILoI 2010-08: Comments due September 10.
Decision meeting and LoI September.

*******
Upcoming Decision Meetings:
    * August 14 - Decision Meeting (2010-07 ILoI) @ TBD - Little Elm, TX
       * September 11 - Decision Meeting (2010-08 ILoI) @ Steppes Artisan -
Steppes
       * October 16 - Decision Meeting (2010-09 ILoI) @ TBD - Little Elm, TX

*******
Internal Letter of Intent 2010-07

of Atlantia.
2. Fionnghuala Ruadh inghean Ui Conch_o_bhair (Eldern Hills, Barony of)
Device Resubmission.
3. Lemoine de Gascony (Raven’s Fort, Barony of) New Badge.
4.   Lucas de Argent (Hellsgate, Incipient Stronghold of) New Name and
Device.
5. Melisenda de Barcelona (Bryn Gwlad, Barony of) New Badge.
6. Torcoletti (Raven’s Fort, Barony of) New Name and Device.

ILoI 2010-07 can be found at http://herald.ansteorra.org/ILoI/iloi201008.pdf

*******
Annotated Internal Collated Commentary 2010-06

2. Argos Spartenos. (Seawinds, Shire of ) New Name and Device.
3. Cadhla Ua Cellacháin. (Wiesenfeuer, Barony of) New Badge.
4. Detlef von Jägerhof. (Raven’s Fort, Barony of) New Name Change.
5. Dyrfinna Geirsdottir. (Seawinds, Shire of) New Device.
6. Emmelina de Medeland. (Namron, Barony of) New Name and Device.
7.   Finnacán Dub. (Wiesenfeuer, Barony of) New Badge.
8. Godwin of Edington. (Stargate, Barony of) Resubmitted Joint Badge.
9.   Gwener Lovelady. (Raven’s Fort, Barony of) New Name.
10. Hallgeirr Óláfsson. (Seawinds, Shire of) New Name and Device.
11. Jeanne Marie la Verriere. (Bryn Gwlad, Barony of) New Device Change.
12. Kata Timkin. (Eldern Hills, Barony of the) Resubmitted Device.
13. Lemoine de Gascony. (Raven’s Fort, Barony of) New Name Change.
14. Malachai Lomax Sanna. (Namron, Barony of) New Name and Device.
15. Petronia Casta. (Stargate, Barony of ) New Name.
16. Rosalia of Raven’s Fort. (Raven’s Fort, Barony of) New Name and Device.
17. Thorvaldr Ulfr. (Bordermarch, Barony of) Resubmitted Name and Device.
18. OEríngr Ketílsson. (Shadowlands, Shire of the) New Name and Device.

AICC 2010-06 can be found at http://herald.ansteorra.org/ICC/aicc201006.pdf

*******
Fast Tracks for 2010-07 Updated

Forwards
1. Kata Timkin - Resub Appeal of Laurel Return of Device
2: Renault du Mont Saint-Michel - Resub Name
3: Vyolante do Porto - Resub Name

Returns:
1: Kenneth Riley - New Name
2: Vyolante do Porto - Resub Device

Pends:
1: Kenneth Riley - New Device

Fast-Tracks can be found at
http://herald.ansteorra.org/ILoI/iloi201007_fasttrack.pdf

*******
The external Letter of Intent for July 2010 can be found at
http://herald.ansteorra.org/LoI/loi201007.pdf and
http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=175&loi=834

A list of items currently in progress can be found at
http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/hst/
Further details on the status of items at Laurel can be found at
http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=181

--
with joy in service,
Lillias MacGuffin