[ANSTHRLD] Eldwin's Submission II Version 2

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Jul 28 08:07:09 PDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
> Eldwin Nightowl <eldwin at loveshade.org> wrote:
>>  http://eldwin.loveshade.org/images/ms_device7.jpg
>
> Azure a mermaid in her vanity proper tailed purpure and on a chief
> purpure a mullet voided and interlaced, within and conjoined to an
> annulet Or.
>
> If you want the chief to be engrailed then I believe the points
> should be going outward.  i always have issues with engrailed and
> invected

"... on a chief invected ..."

For "invected" versus "engrailed", the mnemonic I use is "engrailed"
is based on "grail", meaning a cup, and to be a cup versus a cup
upside down, the points have to be towards the "more important
directions", as it were.  For per fess, as in the other design,
<http://eldwin.loveshade.org/images/ms_device6.jpg>, the points of
engrailed go up.  For per pale, towards dexter.  For a peripheral
charge like a chief, the points point towards the center.

And I think of invected as "opposite of engrailed".

Of course it's not a good mnemonic -- I'd love a better one -- but it
works OK for me.

Danet Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com