[ANSTHRLD] Field Primary Conflict Check

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Tue Nov 2 08:15:30 PDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Would just like one more set of eyes on this piece of armory, if
>> someone could oblige, Daniel and Tostig have already had a crack at
>> it...
>>
>> Per pale indented argent and azure.
>>
>> The one close one is: Peregrine Gray|200903W|d|Per pale indented
>> bendy barry Or and azure and gules.
>>
>> But believe 2 CDS - 1 for tincture, 1 for dropping the field
>> treatment.
>>

> There's no field treatment.  "Bendy barry Or and azure" is a divided
> field, which is normally considered just a tincture.  (E.g., in a
> hypothetical, "Vairy gules and argent, three eagles bendy barry Or and
> azure", the tinctures of the charges are "bendy barry Or and azure".)
>
> So I'm not at all certain whether this, under Field-Primary rules and
> precedents, is just considered a change of the tincture of the field,
> hence 1 CD and a conflict, or whether adding a line of partition for
> FP is one CD and you can somehow still get another CD for changing the
> tincture of the other half.
>
> Daniel Lindum Colonia

By that reasoning, it should be clear of Peregrine Grey under "complete
change of tincture".  See the following precedent from Francois II:

[Per fess engrailed argent and vert.] This device does not conflict with
Britta Atlantica, *Per fess engrailed azure and barruly-wavy argent and
azure*. RfS X.4.a.ii.c states that "independent changes to the tincture,
direction of partition lines, style of partition lines, or number of pieces
in the partition may be counted separately when comparing two pieces of
field-primary armory." In this case, there are independent changes to both
tincture and the number of pieces on the field. The following precedent is
directly relevant:

[*Bendy sinister and per bend azure and ermine*] This is clear of conflict
with Sigeric of Ravenstone, *Per bend azure and bendy sinister argent and
azure*. Pariselle's arms are equivalent to *Per bend bendy sinister azure
and ermine*, and bendy sinister ermine and azure...Half of Pariselle's
armory is ermine, and none of Sigeric's is that tincture. By the general
statements in RfS X.4.a, changing half the tincture of the field is worth a
CD. The sinister chief portion of Sigeric's field is undivided, and the
sinister chief portion of Pariselle's armory field is bendy sinister. This
provides the second CD for change of partition lines" [Pariselle Chouet,
06/02, A-An Tir].

Similarly, half of False Isle's armory is vert while none of Britta's is
that tincture, and the lower portion of Britta's armory is barruly-wavy
while both halves of False Isle's badge are undivided. [False Isle, Shire
of, LoAR 01/2005, An Tir-A]
-Emma