[ANSTHRLD] Conflicting with a non player.

Duncan Hepburn duncan at stormypetrel.org
Fri Nov 12 07:45:47 PST 2010

Robert, I am assuming that this is regarding specifically your query about
the proposed arms of Antonio de la Tour, which you posted a picture of last
month, and which were in conflict with Anne Louise of Blue Castle. My wife
and I have been in contact with Her Excellency Anne Louise regarding this,
and she was shown a picture (that you posted a link to on this list).

Anne-Louise was baroness of the Steppes back in the 1980s, and was indeed
inactive for many years between then and now. Her arms, however, are
recognized still by members of our populace. She was most recently seen,
however, at Steppes Warlord in May, and I suspect she will be seen at events
annually or semi-annually.

I have several points here:

First, that letters to conflict are possible, they just take time.

Second, the person who's arms you are taking over/conflicting with may be
someone prominent in SCA history. How would it look if a new person happened
to take on the arms of Duke Inman or Sir Riccardo because they are inactive
or deceased?

Third is that one just never knows when an inactive person will reappear. If
Antonio had been able to assume arms in conflict with Baroness Anne Louise,
what confusion (or other feelings) would occur if they met at an event?

Because of these points I believe there should be no change to the "shelf
life" on names and arms.

Back to your submittor's request specifically: Anne Louise is a very
reasonable and responsible person, and now that she has seen a picture of
the proposed conflict, I am certain she will respond to the request.

Duncan