[ANSTHRLD] A Spurtle

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Oct 15 14:49:25 PDT 2010

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody have any insight on whether this is going to require a
> documentation of its use in period heraldry to register or no?

Oh, I can give that insight.  Odds are you don't need that.

See the RfS, specifically RfS VII.3:

     3. Period Artifacts. - Artifacts that were known in the period and
     domain of the Society may be registered in armory, provided they
     are depicted in their period forms.

     A pen, for instance, must be depicted as a quill pen or other
     period form, not a fountain pen. A wheel must be depicted as a
     wagon wheel, not a rubber tire from an automobile.

     The use of artifacts that, though not found in period armory,
     follow a pattern of charges found in period armory, will not be
     considered a step from period practice. For instance, there are so
     many examples of tools used by European craftsmen being used as
     charges in period armory, that any tool documented as in use in
     Europe prior to 1600 is generally acceptable without being a step
     from period practice. Artifacts that do not follow a pattern of
     charges found in period armory, such as an aeolipile, will be
     considered a step from period practice.

So if you can document period depictions in such a way that it's
blazonable (if you see a picture and know of the item, you'll say
"spurtle") and reproducable (to oversimplify, if you see "spurtle" in
a blazon, you'll draw something like someone else's notion of
"spurtle"), then it will not require documentation of its use in
period heraldry.

Danihel de Lindo Colonia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com