[ANSTHRLD] Building a Library

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Wed Oct 20 20:35:29 PDT 2010

Marie de Blois <erminespot at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Though, I'd probably skip Compleat Anachronist #66 these days - there
>  are newer articles that are better.  Geirr Bassi may be one of the
>  best books for the price, though.

Yes, I agree.  A handy thing to get.  That would probably make my next names "book" recommendation.  I actually need to replace mine.  I had a copy I bought years ago directly from the author as back then it was not carried by Free Trumpet Press West.

I also miss my copy of Woulfe and I keep hoping that is in a box still (after many years) as it will be expensive to replace.  Unfortunately I think it got mixed in with other books at a consultation table years ago.  Fior those curious and who, like me, did not already know, it seems that Woulfe has been republished.

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Names-Surnames-Sloinnte-Gaelheal/dp/0806303816/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287631446&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Anyway.  Ekwall is a good book to have if you can get it as I do not believe it is too expensive.  As is Bahlow's Dictionary of German Names (I believe the Edda Gentry translation is $20.65 in paperback and 27.96 in hardback at bn.com.)  The key to my mind is to determine what you want out of a library and build from there.  English names will be popular.  Gaelic and Norse in this area as well.  The problem is that there are so many good sources online that you can draw on (unlike say 15+ years ago) that some of the "standard" books really may not be necessary anymore.

Do you want your library to be for the bulk of people where it is easier to find online sources or do you want to look at trying to fill in possible gaps where online sources may be harder to come across?

Alasdair